Steven L. Winer
Steve is a business lawyer who assists clients with financings, the buying and selling of businesses, and the negotiation and implementation of commercial contracts, leases, intellectual property agreements, and other business arrangements. He has significant experience in the hospitality industry, assisting clients with acquisitions, franchise issues, financings, and operational matters.
Steve also has developed a particular focus in advising clients both large and small in employment matters. He counsels employers and employees on the myriad of legal issues that stem from the employment relationship, including individual and multiple employee terminations, reductions in force, severance negotiations and agreements, discrimination investigations and claims, employee misconduct investigations, unemployment compensation matters, wage and hour questions, family and medical leaves, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, employment-based immigration, and employment contract negotiations and disputes. He assists employers in managing human resources risk by helping them prepare and implement effective personnel policies, and by training their supervisors and managers in appropriate techniques to evaluate and manage employees.
Assistant Attorney General, Criminal Bureau of the New Hampshire Department of Justice. Steve has handled multiple jury trials in the New Hampshire Superior Courts and argued numerous appeals to the New Hampshire Supreme Court. During his years as a prosecutor, he gained significant experience in and perspective about the litigation process, which he uses to the advantage of his current clients.
Steve enjoys golfing, skiing, and cycling in his spare time. He is an avid reader and a long-time member of the South End Auxiliary Book Club.
Steve strives to fully understand the business and personal goals of his clients and offers practical counseling and guidance so that their goals will be achieved.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, New Hampshire, and American Bar Associations
- Volunteer, New Hampshire Bar Association Pro Bono Referral Service
- Past President, Merrimack County (N.H.) Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Concord Boys and Girls Club (1996-2008; 2015-present)
- Board of Trustees, Concord Trust for the Enhancement of Public Education (2003-2006)
- Board of Directors, The Beech Hill School (2016-present)
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized for Labor & Employment law work, 2010 Chamber USA
- Media Law Resource Center 50-State Survey of Employment Libel and Privacy Law, Co-author, New Hampshire Chapters (2008-present)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- CARES Act, Disaster Relief Loans and Unemployment Benefits – Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce webinar (4/3/2020)
- Harassment and Discrimination Training – Learning the Basics and Creating a Respectful Workplace – Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Legal Breakfast Series (3/19/19)
- Human Resources Workshop – Monadnock Community Hospital (6/10/11)
- Visa Options and Employment Contracts – New Hampshire/Vermont Association of Medical Staff Services (4/16/10)
- Selected Hot Employment Law and Employment-Based Immigration Topics – Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Legal Breakfast Series (1/26/10)
- Retaining and Managing Your Most Difficult Employees – Council on Education in Management Employment Law Update (11/1/06)
- Employee Privacy Rights – Council on Education in Management Employment Law Update (5/17/06)
- Immigration Law Overview for New Hampshire Public Employers – Primex Seminar Series (3/30/05)
- Immigration Law Overview – Health Care Human Resources Association of New Hampshire (11/19/04)
- Individual Liability of Shareholders, Officers, and Directors for Employment Issues – New Hampshire Bar Association Continuing Legal Education seminar (6/2/04)
- Fundamental Issues in New Hampshire Human Resources Law – National Business Institute seminar (3/22/04)
- Emerging Issues in New Hampshire Health Law – Employee Organizing – National Business Institute seminar (10/29/03)
- Selecting and Terminating Employees in New Hampshire – National Business Institute seminar (5/9/03)
- Employment Issues for New Hampshire Public Charities – Lorman Education Services (3/26/02)
- Effective Payroll Accounting and Administration – Payroll Laws and Legislation – National Business Institute seminar (9/5/01)
- Relationships in the Workplace – Charting New Territory – Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Brown Bag seminar (10/11/00)
- Trade Nafta (TN) Visas – New Hampshire International Trade Association World Trade Expo and Conference (9/13/00)
- Employee Leave Rights Under State and Federal Law – National Business Institute seminar (8/17/00)
- Exemption Issues under the Wage and Hour Law – Council on Education in Management Personnel Law Update (3/10/99)
- What Every Business Owner Needs to Know about Hiring and Firing Employees – Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Brown Bag series (2/17/99)
- How to Conduct an Internal Investigation – Council on Education in Management Seminar (8/10/98)
- Implementing Advanced Techniques for Managing the Conflicting Interplay of the ADA, Workers’ Compensation and the FMLA – Council on Education in Management seminar (10/28/97)
- Employee Handbooks and the Law – National Business Institute seminar (7/22/97)
- Special Issues and Ethical Considerations in Wage and Hour Law – National Business Institute seminar (1/16/97)