Maureen D. Smith
As a member of Orr & Reno’s Environmental practice group, Maureen represents business and individual clients in a broad range of environmental matters spanning air, water, wetlands, shoreland and waste issues. She counsels industrial and commercial clients on federal and state environmental permitting and compliance matters, including hazardous waste compliance in health care facilities. She works with clients and government agencies to resolve environmental compliance and permitting issues in transaction and enforcement settings, including contaminated sites and ground water, wetlands and air permitting. She defends clients in federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Her practice includes representing businesses and individuals in administrative proceedings and appeals before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.
As a member of Orr & Reno’s Energy practice group, Maureen works closely with energy lawyers within the practice group to represent energy clients in state proceedings, including Public Utility Commission and Site Evaluation Committee proceedings, with a focus on environmental issues, energy development and transmission. She handles regulatory proceedings and related real estate issues on energy generation transmission and siting, as well as federal and state licenses and permits. She also advocates on legislative and agency policy issues relating to energy infrastructure, renewable energy and competitive energy markets.
As a member of the Professional Misconduct practice group, Maureen counsels lawyers on professional conduct matters and provides defense services in lawyer disciplinary proceedings and other professional conduct proceedings.
Maureen is a frequent author and lecturer on environmental, energy and ethics topics.
- New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C
- Lead state counsel in largest groundwater damages recovery action in New Hampshire.
- Lead counsel in siting approval for natural gas transmission facility.
- Lead counsel in state approval of ownership transfer for combined cycle natural gas power plant.
Maureen loves swimming and writing.
Maureen works closely with clients to provide prompt and practical legal advice on complex problems.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member and former Vice Chair, Energy & Telecommunications Committee, NHBIA
- Member and former Chair of the Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section, New Hampshire Bar Association
- Member of Environmental and Energy committees, New Hampshire Business & Industry Association
- Member and former Chair, of the Ethics Committee, New Hampshire Bar Association
- Member American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility
- Member, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Member, New England Women in Energy and the Environment
- Former Trustee/Board Member and Chair, Public Policy Committee of The Nature Conservancy (New Hampshire Chapter)
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized as a New England Super Lawyer, Environmental Law (2018)
- Recipient of New Hampshire Business & Industry Association “2013 Above and Beyond Award”
- Delegate to New Hampshire’s Landfill Study Commission (2007-08)
- New Hampshire Department of Justice Ethics Committee (2005-08)
- Noted in American Lawyer magazine on significant power plant settlement
- Emerging Contaminants – New Hampshire Bar Association’s Bar News, September 2017
- Business Risks of PFC’s – New Hampshire Business Review, July 2017
- Pipelines and Electric Bills – Business New Hampshire Magazine, March 2017
- Environmental, Telecomm, Utilities & Energy Law: Lead Paint Hazard Enforcement Trends: Swift Action, Stiffer Penalties – New Hampshire Bar Association’s Bar News, September 2016
- Pursuing Transparency after PSNH Settlement – New Hampshire Business Review, July, 2016
- EPA Mulls Change to Pharmaceutical Waste Rule – New Hampshire Business Review, April, 2016
- Regulating Climate Change – New Hampshire Bar Association’s Bar News, September 2014
- Plans to Expand Natural Gas Pipeline in New England Bring Opportunities – New Hampshire Business Review, July 2013.
- Two Studies Tackle Question of Economic Benefits of Northern Pass – New Hampshire Business Review, October 2012
- Revamping Dock Regulations in New Hampshire – New Hampshire Bar Association’s Bar News, September, 2012
- The Importance of the PSNH Divestiture Debate – New Hampshire Business Review, June, 2012
- Advancing Professionalism in the Twenty-First Century – New Hampshire Bar Journal, Vol. 53, March, 2012
- What to Say (And Not Say) When You Need A Lawyer – Business New Hampshire Magazine, June 2011
- Transboundary Air Pollution: Enforcing the Clean Air Act – New Hampshire Bar Journal, Vol. 42, September, 2001