Margaret R. Kerouac
Margaret has nearly twenty years of experience focused on high-asset and complex divorce cases. Margaret’s clients include business owners, public figures, elected officials, executives of publicly-traded companies, successful inventors, attorneys, doctors, dentists, retirees, those with inherited wealth and many others. Her cases regularly involve issues relating to the valuation and division of complex assets such as business interests, trust rights, stock options, investment real estate, foreign assets, and intellectual property rights.
Margaret’s practice focuses on the private, creative and client-centered resolution of family matters primarily through mediation, negotiation, collaborative law and other settlement techniques, but with the recognition that litigation and trial are sometimes necessary to resolve family disputes. Margaret has significant trial experience and holds the designation of NITA Advocate. She was appointed by the New Hampshire Supreme Court to serve on the Professional Conduct Committee, an adjudicatory arm of the attorney discipline system.
Margaret’s practice also includes disputes relating to parenting rights, support, and modification. She is also skilled in the preparation and negotiation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. She is listed in New Hampshire Magazine’s Best Lawyers and holds a Martindale AV rating, the highest possible rating. In addition, Margaret is recognized by Best Lawyers in the areas of Family Law, Mediation, Arbitration, and Collaborative Law. She was named “Family Law Lawyer of the Year” in 2018 by Best Lawyers. She has also been recognized by SuperLawyers for many years.
Margaret served as an elected leader, and ultimately chair, of the New Hampshire Bar Association’s Family Law Section from 2005-2012. She was also a founding member and chair of two collaborative law practice groups. Margaret was also a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association’s Committee on Cooperation with the Courts as well as the Family Division’s Rules and Policy Groups. In those groups and committees, she collaborated with members of the judiciary and other practitioners on rules, policies of the courts and professional conduct matters.
Margaret has authored numerous articles and blog posts on various issues relating to divorce. She is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars on topics such as handling complex assets in divorce, advanced property division, and postnuptial agreements. Margaret is also a certified collaborative law attorney and trained mediator. She is a vocal proponent of mediation and collaborative law in the divorce context.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, New Hampshire Supreme Court Professional Conduct Committee
- Advisor, Board Member and Founding Member (2015), The American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators
- Member, Collaborative Law Alliance of New Hampshire
- Member, International Association of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Member, New Hampshire Association for Justice (formerly on Board of Governors)
- Member, American Bar Association, Sections of Family Law and Litigation
- Member, New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association (formerly on Board of Directors)
- Former leader and current member of the Family Law Section of New Hampshire Bar Association (elected to leadership of Section from 2005 to 2012, Chair 2008-2011, Co-Chair 2011-2012)
- Former member, New Hampshire Bar Association Committee on Cooperation with the Courts
- Founding member and former co-chair, Seacoast Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Founding member and former co-chair, Central New Hampshire Divorce Professionals (Concord, NH Collaborative Practice Group)
Honors & Distinctions
- Appointed by Supreme Court to Professional Conduct Committee
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year,” Family Law – Concord (2018)
- Best Lawyers 2015-2019 (Family Law, Collaborative Law, Arbitration)
- Best Lawyers 2019 (Mediation)
- Super Lawyers 2015-2019 (Family Law)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009-2014, Family Law)
- NITA Advocate
- Top 10 Attorney Award, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys (2014-2016)
- Jack B. Middleton Pro Bono Legal Services Award (2005)