For Employers: Latest Revision of Form I-9 Required as of September 18, 2017
USCIS released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. As of September 18, employers may only use this revised version (revision date of 07/17/17 N): https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf. Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9.
Revisions to the Form I-9 instructions:
- USCIS changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- USCIS removed “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
Revisions related to the List of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9:
- USCIS added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Section 2 and Section 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- USCIS combined all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350 and Form FS-240) into selection C#2 in List C.
- USCIS renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C will change from List C #8 to List C #7.
USCIS included these changes in a revised Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274), which is also easier for users to navigate.
Employers may continue to use Form I-9 with a revision date of 11/14/16 until September 17, 2017. As of September 18, 2017, Form I-9 with a revision date of 07/17/17 must be used.
About the Authors:
Robin Vermette https://orr-reno.com/our-people/robin-l-h-vermette/
Paula Violo https://orr-reno.com/our-people/paula-violo/
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification: https://www.uscis.gov/node/41230
- https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf
- storage and retention rules: https://www.uscis.gov/node/41388
- Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274): https://www.uscis.gov/node/59502
- https://orr-reno.com/our-people/robin-l-h-vermette/: https://orr-reno.com/our-people/robin-l-h-vermette/
- https://orr-reno.com/our-people/paula-violo/: https://orr-reno.com/our-people/paula-violo/
Source URL: https://orr-reno.com/employers-latest-revision-form-9-required-september-18-2017/
Copyright ©2021 Orr & Reno unless otherwise noted.